Fun Ideas to Ring in Summer in Style
Every year in NYC, Memorial Day Weekend heralds the official kick-off of summer! There are countless events from rooftop openings to street fairs to concerts this Memorial Day Weekend – and you don’t have to venture beyond the city to enjoy them! (Plus you might not want to with traffic projected by the Times to be the worst in a decade)
Memorial Day Weekend 2016 will fall on May 28-30th and will overlap with Fleet Week - don’t forget to take minute out of your long weekend to celebrate the patriotic heroes of this holiday with our sailors at one of the many Memorial Day parades taking place in all five boroughs.
- The biggest Memorial Day parade starts at 1pm on Grand Ave. at 72nd St. in Queens on Sunday.
- The 149-year-old Brooklyn parade starts in Bay Ridge at 101 St. and 4th Ave. at 10am on Monday.
- Manhattan's Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Day Observance takes place at Riverside Dr. and 89th Street at 10am Monday as well.
Aside from Parades, here are a few notable recommendations for ways to ring in the summer with a splash…
1. Governor's Island The city’s biggest car-less backyard opens for the season. Walk, jog, bike, or relax in this often forgotten gem in the East River.
2. Concerts NYC is full of amazing music events during the summer – check out this list from Time Out New York and get your groove on!
3. Beaches For the price of a subway ticket you can get the city’s free, public beaches. If you are feeling extra adventurous try some surfing lessons at Rockaway Beach or stroll down the Coney Island Boardwalk before hopping on the infamous Cyclone coaster at Luna Park! My personal favorite beach excursion is lunch at Tatiana's at the Brighton Beach Boardwalk.
4. Washington Square Outdoor Art Exhibit, Washington Square Park; May 28–30
This city tradition feels fresh every spring when artists following in the footsteps of Jackson Pollock and Willem de Kooning set up shop in the park. Hundreds of exhibitors, from NYU students to artists who remember the Village as a creative enclave, display their paintings, sculptures, photography, jewelry and woodcraft.
5. Picnic in the Park Prospect, Fort Greene, Central – pick your park, dust off your Frisbees, pack your gourmet goodies, and call your friends! If you are on the hunt for some good gourmet spots to snag fun portable snacks, I’d highly recommend making a stop off at Chelsea Market in Manhattan or Stinky, Sahadis, and BRKLYN Larder in Brooklyn!
6. Rooftops Those first rays of summer feel great, especially at one of the cities many rooftop bars – check out Gallow Green in the McKitrick Hotel in Flatiron or The Ides at the Wythe Hotel in Williamsburg!
7. New Museum Exhibits Get a head start seeing this summer’s most anticipated exhibits. Check out Yoko Ono at MoMA or Frida Kahlo at the New York Botanical Garden.